Sunday, February 21, 2016

His words are spirit and life

On Sunday mornings the Sisters pray together for an hour before Holy Mass.  We chant Morning Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours and then we meditate on the Readings for the Day, all in front of the Blessed Sacrament which is exposed on the altar in our chapel.  

 This morning I was restless and somewhat distracted.  I couldn’t seem to “get my act together” when it came to reflecting on the daily readings.  I read some brief commentaries because, as I tried to be silent and reflect, my thoughts were going here and there and I needed help to focus.  Finally, I closed my eyes and tried to surrender myself to the Lord.  The Gospel for today was the account of Jesus’ Transfiguration before Peter, James and John. 

God was faithful to me. I opened my eyes, looked at the host in the monstrance on the altar and the words from the Gospel immediately came to mind:  “This is my Beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased.” These were the words the Father spoke in the midst of the cloud that enveloped Jesus and the Apostles. And they were God’s words for me today.  I was no longer restless and distracted.  I was looking at God’s Beloved Son - right there in front of me.  And in an hour I was able to receive Him in Holy Communion at Mass.  

No comments: