Thursday, April 10, 2008

On the road again!

I had surgery on March 26 so I had to put off blogging until I had the energy to think! All is well and my head is starting to clear so I thought I had better let you know that I did not ascend into Heaven with the Lord! I am still here with my feet firmly planted on the earth!.

That gives rise to a little thought that I wanted to share with you. I had surgery because the doctors could not be sure that what showed up on a CT scan was not cancer. Because of a history of cancer in my family we had to go in and have a look! Thank God the spot was benign and I am doing well! No cancer – just a nasty infection!

Several years ago I would have been a basket case as I approached the uncertainty of such an operation. But this time around I was not! I was peaceful and unafraid – and absolutely amazed that I was even joyful as I drove to the hospital. How could this be? Well, I know without a doubt that it was the overwhelming, gratuitous love and grace of the Lord. There is no other explanation!

As I prayed and reflected on this I was reminded of a concept that Boston College professor and philosopher Peter Kreeft once shared in one of this books: Life on this earth is like staying in a motel. It is where we stop on our way home! Perhaps I have reached the point in my life where I know where I am headed and this motel I am staying in, while very nice, is only a temporary living situation. I like staying in motels – I even like traveling. The road I am on is sometimes smooth, often bumpy; the weather is often sunny but sometimes dark and foreboding. But I know the way to go - the route I must take, and if I stay on it I will eventually make it home.

My trip to the hospital was a detour for road repairs! But I am back on the fast lane again (well not quite yet!) and off we go! God is so good and I am so grateful to Him for my gift of life! Let’s not ever take it for granted!

2 comments:

Tygogal said...

See Please Here

the mother of this lot said...

So glad you're okay, Sister. I've been worried about you! Hope you are feeling much better and are well on the mend.