Monday, March 16, 2009

Contemplate the Sorrow

I just read a beautiful reflection by a writer posted on the catholic.org website. Catholic.org is offering Lenten articles on various topics including the Stations of the Cross and the Sorrowful Mysteries.
http://www.catholic.org/clife/lent/story.php?id=32323

I was convicted by the current reflection on the first Sorrowful Mystery, the Agony in the Garden. Jennifer Hartline, the writer, confesses that throughout her life she has had a tendency to resist dwelling on the painful events of our Lord’s Passion. This is a common human experience, she says, since most of us instinctively turn away from pain and try to avoid it at all costs.

The events leading up to Calvary present “uncomfortable stuff” that is very hard to face, she says. However, realizing how much Jesus loves us and how much she loves Him, “this year I feel challenged to sit still and do the uncomfortable…reflect on the agony, contemplate the wickedness, listen to the hatred, wince at the excruciating pain…and see myself in all of it… He did it all for me.”

With the grace of the Holy Spirit I am going to attempt to do that as I pray the Sorrowful Mysteries. I need to do that: I want to do that. I want to meditate on how much Jesus loves me and what He did for me. I realize Jesus has risen and is alive; still His Passion was not a sterile, bloodless experience. He really suffered – for me – for you. What do you think?

No comments: