Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Eat well this Lent!

I suppose I have to confess. I have been remiss in keeping this blog up to date because I am recuperating from a bad fall. In fact a mild head injury put me into the hospital for two days. However, as a fruit of the prayers of all of our Sisters my recovery was quick and right now I am just getting my strength back. I had gone out to walk the dog and tripped on a raised flag stone that lifted because of frozen ground. I was also very tired as I went out the door so I didn’t have much pep in my step!

I was able to discover a spiritual principle in all of this. When life gets too busy we often neglect taking time for rest – in this instance, spiritual rest, rest in the Lord. How do we do that? We STOP! We take time to sit down and talk with Him, to be attentive to what He wants to say to us. We make sure we have good spiritual nourishment – the Eucharist, the Sacrament of Reconciliation, and spiritual reading. Spiritual reading is like peanut butter and jelly for the soul!

During Lent the Lord invites us into the desert to rest. There are sooooo many good spiritual books to read. Choose one and make it your spiritual PB&J for Lent. Right now I am reading a wonderful book, “Show Us Your Mercy and Love: 30 Reflections on Life in Jesus Christ” by Cardinal Justin Rigali. (It is available on Amazon.com or from your local Catholic book store). It is certainly feeding my soul!

If we are spiritually rested and nourished, chances are we will be less likely to fall!

1 comment:

The Woman of the House said...

Sorry about your fall Sr. Judith. I hope you feel better soon. Love and prayers to you.

Adele and family.