Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Behold your mother!

When I was a little girl, during the month of May, I had a May altar in my bedroom. I would pick dandelions and wild violets and make a little bouquet to place in front of the statue of our Blessed Mother. On the table was my glow-in-the-dark white plastic rosary!

As children we have such pure and simple faith. As we get older that faith takes a lot of punches and jabs from the experiences of life. But Our Blessed Mother grows with us! We are still her children no matter how old we are and no matter how bruised and battered we are. And I thank Jesus, that from the Cross He gave her to us as our Mother. We can go to her, child-like in our needs and desires, and pour out our hearts to her. She is alive; she is real and she is always available.

When our Blessed Mother appeared to St. Catherine Laboure in France she was seated on a chair in the sanctuary of the chapel. St. Catherine knelt by her side and placed her folded hands in Mary’s lap. (see photo above). I love that image, don’t you?! That image is an invitation to each one of us to find ourselves by our Heavenly Mother's side with our upturned hands in her lap. See: http://www.amm.org/catherine.asp

As an adult I still have a May altar but I share it with my Sisters. It is in the chapel of our Motherhouse and I still love to put flowers in front of the statue. (However my Rosary is a more sedate black and I keep it in my pew!)

No comments: