Saturday, May 29, 2010

In Perfect Communion


THE BLESSED TRINITY IS THE ONE GOD IN THREE DIVINE PERSONS, EACH HAVING THE FULLNESS OF THE DIVINE NATURE, WHO LIVE IN A PERFECT COMMUNION OF LOVE. THIS IS THE CENTRAL MYSTERY OF OUR CATHOLIC FAITH.

Today, Trinity Sunday, the Church celebrates this central mystery of our faith. Right now I have the privilege of teaching the Catholic Faith to a young single mother and this statement above begins our lesson on the Holy Trinity. We can meditate on this statement - on this Mystery - for the rest of our lives and we would never be able to plumb the depths of its meaning. It is wonderful of the Church to set aside this day to draw our attention away from the things of the world, not only to the reality of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit but to the "perfect communion of love" that exists among the Divine Three. We too are called to a communion of love - with God, with the members of our families, our Religious communities, with our brothers and sisters in the Church, using the Holy Trinity as our model.

Below is an excerpt from a famous prayer to the Trinity composed by Blessed Elizabeth of theTrinity. Perhaps you can cut and paste it on to a document, cut it out and keep it near you.

O my God, Trinity whom I adore, help me to become utterly forgetful of myself so that I may establish myself in you, as changeless and calm as though my soul were already in eternity. Let nothing disturb my peace nor draw me forth from you, O my unchanging God, but at every moment may I penetrate more deeply into the depths of your mystery. Give peace to my soul; make it your heaven, your cherished dwelling-place and the place of your repose. Let me never leave you there alone, but keep me there, wholly attentive, wholly alert in my faith, wholly adoring and fully given up to your creative action.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


No comments: