Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Church's great treasure

Today the Church celebrates the feast of the great St. Augustine. He is particularly important to our community since our Rule – our Way of Life – is adapted from the Rule that St. Augustine wrote to guide the monks in his monastic community. It calls us as Sisters to be “of one mind and heart on the way to God.” For a glimpse of his Rule see http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/ruleaug.html

We have special prayers to St. Augustine on this his feast day. One of my favorites is the well-known prayer to the Holy Spirit:

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may be holy;
Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy;
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy;
Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy;
Guard me, then O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy. Amen.


To learn more about St. August click on http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02084a.htm

St. Augustine is a great model for us today. He had a great desire to know the truth and it drove him into exploring many philosophies as he looked for happiness. For many years he led a sinful life (he had a mistress and an illegitimate son) but in answer to the prayers of his mother, Saint Monica, he found the Truth - Jesus Christ - and was baptized into the Catholic Church. He went on to become a priest and the Bishop of Hippo in Africa. He is beyond a doubt one of the Church’s greatest theologians. At some time during our lives his famous writing, the Confessions of St. Augustine should be read by each one of us. Confessions is a classic and can be found in most bookstores.
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/confessions-bod.html

No comments: