Saturday, October 2, 2010

Getting to know your Angel

When I was growing up this picture of the Guardian Angel hung on the wall in our home. As a child I knew about Guardian Angels but my knowledge and understanding of their role in God's kingdom has widened and I have grown to love them. Some years ago I was led to give my own Guardian Angel a name. After praying about the matter I sensed that a perfect name would be "Mercy". I pray to Mercy and am grateful for my angel's care. Today is the Feast of the Guardian Angels.

I encourage you to click on this link for a very informative article on the Church's teaching about angels: http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php?id=38544

Today is also the anniversary of my Baptism and in our community we celebrate Baptism anniversaries in a special way. It is the day when I became a child of God. So this evening at Evening Prayer I will renew my Baptism promises (to gain a plenary indulgence) and that will be followed by a fine dinner and some small gifts. The Sisters will take turns encouraging me about the way they see me growing in my spiritual life. (My faults and weaknesses are never mentioned!)

Perhaps that is why I love this feast day so much and why I love my Guardian Angel so much. Padre Pio had a very significant relationship with his Guardian Angel. And Padre Pio is a saint!

No comments: