Friday, April 22, 2011

Ecce Homo

Hail, bloody head, crowned with thorns, broken, struck by a rod, and covered with spit. Hail! There is a foreboding of death upon your gentle face; its color is gone, but under that frightening pallor the heavenly court adores you.

O holy Face, so struck, so bruised and condemned because of our sins, brighten the eyes of this unworthy sinner with a sign of your love! I have sinned, oh forgive me! Do not reject me. While death draws near, bend your head a little toward me and let it rest in my arms.

When my time shall come to die, come quickly, O Jesus! In that dread hour, let your blood be my protection, O Jesus! Protect me and deliver me! I will go whenever you want, my dear Jesus, but only be near me then! Hold me tight to you because you love me; then show yourself to me upon the cross that saved us! (attributed to St. Bernard)

No comments: