Sunday, January 27, 2013

Which part are you?

The Body of Christ
There were some 500,000 people who marched for Life in Washington, DC on Friday observing the 40th anniversary of the Roe v Wade Supreme Court decision which legalized abortion!  Several of the commentators on EWTN noted that this was a great manifestation of the Body of Christ!

I thought of that today as I listened to the second reading at Mass taken from St. Paul's Letter to the Corinthians.  (2 Cor. 12:12-30)   It is the famous passage about the Body of Christ - Jesus is the Head and we are all parts of his Body. "Now you are Christ’s body, and individually parts of it." How true it was in Washington.

At Mass today the Church was crowded with men, women, old, young who kept coming and coming to receive Holy Communion.  I thought to myself:  "The Body of Christ"!   And I was not outside looking in but I was one with all those people at Mass - I was/I am part of the Body of Christ!

None of us is alone.  We are all part of Christ's Body. St. Paul uses the analogy of foot, ear, eye...
An eye cannot say to the ear I do not need you nor can the foot say to the eye I do not need you.  In God's eyes we are all necessary; we shouldn't say to one another, "I don't need you!"  We are part of Christ's Body by virtue of our Baptism and His Body cannot function if it hobbles along with some of the parts missing or if some of the stronger members are not mindful of the weaker ones. (Because of my recently fractured arm I am going for physical therapy to strengthen my weaker member! My right arm is helping to exercise my left!) 

The next time you are in a crowd of baptized Christians/Catholics look around and remember that YOU  are an important member of the Mystical Body of Christ.  Isn't that thrilling! 



No comments: