Thursday, September 17, 2015

Simon and me

Today’s Gospel (Lk 7:36-50) is about the woman who approached Jesus at a banquet and washed his feet with her tears and dried them with her hair.  It was an act of deep repentance and humility and although she was a sinner, Jesus recognized her sincerity and her deep sorrow for her sins.  

Many times when we reflect on this story, we think about the woman and her generosity of spirit and we pray to be like her in our own lives.  However, today I was taken by Simon, the Pharisee, who hosted the banquet.  He was very critical of the woman and saw only her sin.  Jesus, however, saw into her heart.  I am sometimes like Simon; I have a tendency to be judgmental.  Today I was convicted of my own sin, asking the Lord for the grace to really “see” others as He sees them.  

No comments: