Monday, August 20, 2007

CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION


This past weekend some of us went to Confession. As we were driving home one of the Sisters commented: “It’s time to celebrate!” What a wonderful way to experience the Sacrament of Reconciliation! We all agreed with her!

Recently I was not myself. I was out of peace and as I prayed about the mood I was in I realized I needed to go to Confession. It’s not that I was carrying the burden of serious sin; I just knew that there was a way I had been thinking and acting that was not pleasing to the Lord. It’s probably known today as “an attitude”! I wanted to be free of this darkness and I knew there was only one way to achieve that freedom. So I ran to the Lord in the Sacrament of Reconciliation and asked for His help and forgiveness.

There is more to the Sacrament of Reconciliation than just confessing our sins and our weaknesses. All of the Sacraments are channels of God’s grace, and the Sacrament of Reconciliation is the conduit through which God’s mercy and forgiveness flow into our souls. It is a key source of the graces I need to overcome my faults and spiritual weaknesses and to grow in holiness. That’s what I want to do! So I go to Confession frequently because I need God’s life in me; otherwise I will run out of steam and be vulnerable to one of those “attitudes”!

What about you! Feeling a little grumpy these days? Why not check your parish bulletin for the times of Confession. Get rid of whatever is in your heart that is pressing you down. And then, for heavens sake, go CELEBRATE! You'll be glad you did!

No comments: