Tuesday, October 2, 2007


God has given His angels charge over you to protect you in all your ways. (Psalm 91)

Today is the feast of The Guardian Angels and a very special day for me personally. It is the anniversary of my Baptism, and for those of you who have been reading this blog you know how important this day is for each one of us. And isn’t it wonderful that my parents just happened to have me baptized on this special feast day! (The picture shown here is just like the one that hung in our house when I was a child.)

In our Baptism we become a child of God. And my Consecration as a Religious Sister was a deeper insertion into my Baptism – into the Paschal Mystery – into the dying and rising to new life in Jesus Christ. There is no separate Sacrament for religious life. As a woman consecrated and set apart for God, I am called to draw on the graces of my Baptism and live out my Baptism in a deeper way. And I have my Guardian angel who is there to help me!

Commenting on Psalm 91 (above) St. Bernard, Abbot writes: “These words should fill you with respect, inspire devotion, and instill confidence; respect for the presence of angels, devotion because of their loving service, and confidence because of their protection. And so the angels are here; they are at our side, they are with you, present on your behalf. They are here to protect you and serve you. But even if it is God who has given them charge, we must nonetheless be grateful to them for the great love with which they obey and come to help us in our great need. We should then show our affection for the angels, for one day they will be our coheirs just as here below they are our guardians and trustees appointed and set over us by the Father."
I have named my guardian angel 'Mercy' - a name I chose one day after praying about my angel and I often pray to Mercy for help in various situations. Naming an angel might sound a little strange but it gives me a focus and enables me to have a relationship with this spiritual friend. What about you?

No comments: