Thursday, January 3, 2008

His Name is Holy

When I was a little girl I was taught to bow my head every time I said the name of Jesus. Now that I am older I fail to remember to do that as I pray. Today the Church celebrates the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus and its purpose, I think, is to remind us once again of the sacredness of this Holy Name – Jesus!

“Jesus” was the name chosen by the Father Himself as the name for His Son. Such an awareness should prompt us to bow our heads and almost whisper the name – Jesus!
But the angel said to her,
"Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God.
You will be with child and give birth to a son,
and you are to give him the name Jesus.
He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High.
The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David. (Matt 1:21)

Sadly so many in our world today say it as a way to emphasize anger or disgust or even hatred. I was reminded today of the North American Martyrs – St. Issac Jogues and his companions - who vowed to begin everything they did in the name of Jesus. (http://www.martyrshrine.org/) They loved Him so much and went through terrible torture and death because of that love.

As we search through the pages of the New Testament we find so many references to the name of Jesus. Perhaps as a way today to meditate on this great mystery we can find a few minutes to savor some of these Scripture references:

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 1:9-11)

No comments: