Friday, October 2, 2009

My special day

Today is a very special day for me. It is the anniversary of my Baptism. Our community acknowledges birthdays (with desert!) but we REALLY celebrate the day when we were immersed into the waters of Baptism and came forth as a Daughter of God! It was the day of our spiritual birth into Christ!

It is also the feast of the Guardian Angels, one of my favorite feasts. Some years ago I came to love my Guardian Angel and I often pray to my angel for protection, for guidance, for help! As I mentioned in a previous post, for the sake of personalizing this devotion I address my angel by the name of “Mercy”. Our retreat master this summer encouraged us to pray to our Guardian Angel, especially in times of danger.

Below are two links with very good information from the Catechism of the Catholic Church about the Sacrament of Baptism and about Angels. I hope you will take the time to have a look at them.

St. Bernard of Clairvaux says in the Office of Readings today that “... let us be devoted and grateful to such great protectors (our angels); let us return their love and honor them as much as we can and should. Yet all our love and honor must go to Him, for it is from Him that they receive all that makes them worthy of our love and respect.

“He has given his angels charge over you to guard you in all your ways." (Psalm 91:11)

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/creator.html#ANGELS

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/CDHN/baptism.html#WHO

No comments: