Monday, September 28, 2009

How little are we?

In the Gospel today, "an argument arose among the disciples about which of them was the greatest. Jesus realized the intention of their hearts and took a child and placed it by his side and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me. For the one who is least among all of you is the one who is the greatest.” (Luke 9:46-50)

In our morning meditation together, our Sisters pray from the Scriptures, following the way of Lectio Divina or divine reading. It is a way of praying that is greatly encouraged by Pope Benedict XVI for all Christians. Simply stated, we read the passage from Scripture and consider what is happening in the passage. Then we read it again asking ourselves: “What is Jesus saying about Himself in this passage?” As we ponder on that question for awhile we then ask: “What is Jesus saying in the passage about me?”

In my own Lectio today I was struck by the disciples arguing among themselves about who was the greatest. Why would they do such a thing? But then it occurred to me that it was important for them to know what Jesus thought of them. Were they good enough to win His approval? And that is the way it often is with me. “Jesus, am I good enough for you?” “Do you approve of me?” Bottom line: Jesus, do you love me?”

The second part of that passage also struck me. In Mass recently I became annoyed with something that someone was doing that irritated me. I even carried that irritation home and I made some uncharitable remark to my Sisters in the car. The person involved was needy in some way – someone I must have perceived as “the least among us”. "O Lord. I am so sorry for my pride." As I considered this passage I was able to see the person I was so annoyed with as great in the eyes of God. But me? How needy I am! “Lord, I know you love me, in spite of my sin.”

No comments: