Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday ~ a Luminous Day

Today is Thursday, the day of the week when we meditate on the Rosary's Luminous Mysteries – the Mysteries of Light. Our late Holy Father, Pope John Paul II added these mysteries to the Rosary to commemorate Jesus Christ, “the Light of the World”. (John 8:12) The following meditation is shared by Sister Loretta:

"A few years back I had the privilege to attend a seminar at the Institute on Religious Life in Chicago. It was there that I met Father Charles Mangan, who wrote a pamphlet entitled “Meditations on the Luminous Mysteries of the Holy Rosary.” I have used it each week when we have our Thursday Holy Hour, and have found these meditations to be very helpful. I especially found the questions he asks as he concludes each mystery’s meditation to be very helpful as well as a source of great blessings for me! I pray they will bring the same blessing to you!

Mystery: Christ’s Baptism in the Jordan River ~ speaks of Jesus’ obedience to the Father’s will for him. We contemplate here “the rapidity with which Jesus always fulfilled His Father’s will.” What is my attitude toward obedience, to God and to those I need to obey? (Mt. 3:13)

Mystery: The Wedding at Cana ~ I note how Christ honors his Mother and how Mary points her earthly children to Jesus.” Do I enthusiastically venerate Mary and genuinely encourage others to imitate her Son? (Jn 2:1-11)

Mystery: The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God with his call to conversion ~ We contemplate in this Mystery the overwhelming love of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and His great mercy toward us. Is my encounter with the Divine Physician in Confession frequent and profound? (Mt 3:17)

Mystery: The Transfiguration of Jesus on Mount Tabor ~ we contemplate in this Mystery the innumerable favors that the Almighty bestows on those who search for Him. Do I often ask the Savior for a deeper friendship with Him? (Mt 17:1-8)

Mystery ~ Christ’s Institution of the Most Holy Eucharist. We contemplate in this Mystery the food and drink – His precious Body and Blood - that Jesus provides for us for the challenging pilgrimage to His Father’s House. Do I prepare well for Holy Communion and treasure the Mass as the center of my life? (Mt 26:26-29)"

For more on the Luminous Mysteries click on: http://www.rosary-center.org/luminous.htm

The Rosary was Pope John Paul’s favorite prayer. May it be ours as well!

No comments: