Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Grow in the Catholic Faith

When I lit the second candle on our Advent Wreath this past Sunday I wanted to stop the clock and slow down the progress of this wonderful, grace-filled liturgical season. But alas, I realize that I am the one who needs to slow down so I have time to reflect and take in all the Lord has for me during these few brief weeks before Christmas. One of our parish priests said last week that Advent is like the “baby shower” before the Birth of the “baby”. That baby is Jesus and Advent gives us time to prepare the gifts of our heart that we will present to Him on Christmas Day.

One of the ways the Sisters in our convent are preparing is by watching the amazing “Catholicism” series by Father Robert Barron. Please click on this link to Father's web site, “Word on Fire” to reap the fruit of Father Barron’s YouTube videos, his blog, and information on the “Catholicism” DVDs, study guide and book which can be purchased on his site. The series, I think, was over 10 years in the making and I can’t recommend it highly enough. Author George Weigel says the series is "the most important media project in the history of the Catholic Church in America. Many parishes are offering it to their parishioners; perhaps yours can too. http://www.wordonfire.org/


Perhaps all of us can make a decision to slow down and let the Lord lead us into the dessert where He can prepare OUR hearts for his coming in mystery this Christmas.

No comments: