Saturday, May 25, 2013

Miracles in the aisles

Once a week another Sister and I do the grocery shopping for our local community.  Some people hate grocery shopping; I love it!  All the cashiers in the store know us.  Some of the baggers (a few who have Down's Syndrome) know us.  I was bagging my own groceries this week and a tall young man, obviously mentally challenged, came up to me and looked me right in the eye, smiling.  He picked up a bag and finished packing my groceries! We laughed together and because all the employees wear name tags I am able to call him by name.  I loved it!

Sister and I separate - she does the produce and frozen foods and I do the aisles.  We are often stopped by other shoppers who want to tell us their story.  We wear a habit so that tells them the door is open.  They ask for prayers, they tell us they had Sisters in school.  Another Sister who preceded  us in this "apostolate of evangelization" was responsible for bringing one of the employees back to Church and to having her marriage blessed in the Church. 

I just read an article on Catholic Online recounting Pope Francis' homily for this morning on the Gospel reading for the day. (Mk 10:13-16)  As I was reading the article I thought about our shopping days.  Here is a link to the article.  Please read it!  I think it will touch as well as convict your heart.  God bless you!  Happy shopping and evangelizing. 

 http://catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=51104

No comments: