Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Wind in our sails

Some years ago a friend told me that failure to recognize the Holy Spirit and to allow Him to guide our lives is like driving a car with four flat tires.  We are guaranteed to have a bumpy ride! Another thought:  The Holy Spirit is the Wind in the sails that propel the boat of our life – He keeps us on a steady course, whether the sea is calm or turbulent. 

Today as you know is Pentecost, the solemn feast that marks God’s outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles and into the Church.  Often the feast has been called the "Birthday of the Church."  At the end of Mass this morning Father extinguished the Easter Candle – symbolizing the end of the liturgical Easter Season and the beginning, if you will, of the age of the Spirit.  But, how often do we think of the Holy Spirit, talk about Him, pray to Him, rely on Him, allow Him to inspire our thoughts, deepen our faith and inflame our hearts with God’s love? 
Here are some wonderful thoughts on the Holy Spirit by our Holy Father, Pope Francis.  Please have a look: http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/pope-francis-and-the-holy-spirit/
Take the time if you can to learn about the Holy Spirit, especially from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.  Here is an index of the content of the Catechism – page down to find articles 683-686 and 687-747. http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc2.htm
And finally, here is the famous prayer to the Holy Spirit by St. Augustine, well worth printing out and keeping in your Missal, your prayer book, or in another handy place.  It is a wonderful prayer to begin the day. 

PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
Saint Augustine of Hippo
Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. 
Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. 
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy. 
Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy. 
Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy. 
Amen.

No comments: