Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The great Saint and Doctor of the Church

St. Augustine giving his rule
 to various religious communities
Today is a very special feast day for our community.  Some years ago as our Founding Sisters were praying and discerning God’s will for us, they were led to choose the Rule of St. Augustine as the basis for the Rule for our community.  St. Augustine founded a religious community of men when he was the Bishop of Hippo in Africa.  He developed a Rule for their way of life and we have adapted it for our way of life.  There are different rules – Franciscan, Benedictine, Carmelite, etc but our hopes and desires resonated with St. Augustine’s. 

Here is a link to his Rule if you would like to read it.  It is very brief.  http://www.ewtn.com/library/PRIESTS/AUGRULE.TXT

Below is the very famous passage from his Confessions, the story of his conversion.  If you want to read the entire passage it is in the Office of Readings for today.   http://www.universalis.com/readings.html.  (Scroll down to find it).   Or better yet, obtain a full copy of The Confessions of St. Augustine.  They are a spiritual classic.
Late have I loved you, Beauty so ancient and so new,
 late have I loved you!
Lo, you were within, but I outside, seeking there for you, 
and upon the shapely things you have made.
I rushed headlong – I, misshapen.
You were with me, but I was not with you.
They held me back far from you,
those things which would have no being,
were they not in you.
You called, shouted, broke through my deafness;
you flared, blazed, banished my blindness;
you lavished your fragrance, I gasped; and now I pant for you;
I tasted you, and now I hunger and thirst;
you touched me, and I burned for your peace.
 

No comments: