Monday, September 9, 2013

An urgent plea for peace

Hi everyone:

I realize it has been a long time since I posted anything here.  I keep thinking, “I need to get to my blog” but you know how it is.  Our summer schedule was busy.  We had our annual retreat as I mentioned before and our annual community vacation.  Then last week I began a new apostolate which took some preparation.  But let’s try again.
I hope some of you were able to watch the 5-hour prayer vigil from the Vatican on Saturday (9/7) presided over by our beloved Pope Francis.  As we moved around doing our Saturday chores we had  EWTN on and were able to move in and out of the room, sitting for awhile, praying with the 100,000 people gathered in St. Peter’s square at the Vatican.  We agreed that for us it was like a retreat day.  I was speechless and unable to articulate how I was affected by the vigil.  I am so grateful to God that I am Catholic and so proud of our Catholic Church.  Who else would have a 5-hour period of prayer for peace, broadcast around the world.  God bless Pope Francis for his courage and vision.  Here is the text of his homily during the vigil which included the Rosary, sacred music, Scripture readings, other readings and Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament with Benediction.
Our parish will have a special Mass for peace tomorrow evening.  Perhaps your parishes are also praying with our Holy Father.  If not, please set aside some time of your own.  Our world is on the brink of great chaos and millions of people are suffering so much.  Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us.

No comments: