Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A strong but gentle man

As I was reflecting on the mystery of today's solemn feast - the Solemnity of St. Joseph - I was asking God what it was he wanted me to take from the readings.  Millions of words have been written about Saint Joseph.  What could I possibly add to that number?  But with the saints, as with Scripture, the word God has for us is never exhausted.  It is new every day.  Then I thought of the silence of St. Joseph and remembered that Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI had written about St. Joseph's silence.  Here is an excerpt from his reflection:

"His is a silence permeated by contemplation of the mystery of God, in an attitude of total availability to his divine wishes. Let us allow ourselves to be "infected" by the silence of St Joseph! We have much need of it in a world which is often too noisy, which does not encourage reflection and listening to the voice of God." (Pope Benedict XVI, December 18, 2005)

That was God's word for me today and for all of Lent.  Sometimes I talk too much.  Sometimes I voice an opinion when what I think is best unsaid. Sometimes I complain.  Sometimes I feel a pull toward gossip.  God is gently saying to me to ask St. Joseph for the grace of silence.  When I come to prayer I can ask St. Joseph for the grace to silence my thoughts that whirl with distractions.  Mary pondered in her heart the events in the life of her Son.  I can ask St. Joseph for the grace to quietly and silently ponder those same events in my own heart.  And on and on...

What is God saying to you today?  Meditate on the person of St. Joseph.  So much to think about!  St. Joseph, pray for us.












No comments: