Saturday, March 1, 2014

Sing a new song!

I have mentioned before that our Sisters pray each day according to the tradition of Lectio Divina which is meditating on Sacred Scripture.  For me I choose to meditate on the readings for the  Mass for the day.  Yesterday the first reading and the Gospel dealt with divorce and as you can imagine, I was uncomfortable with that topic!  So I meditated on the Psalm.  You know the Psalms are God’s give to us – his gift of prayer.  There are many books and pamphlets dealing with the topic of “Praying with the Psalms! When we are spiritually dry we can turn to the Psalms and let our prayer soar!   Here is a look at how the Lord was leading me yesterday. 

R. The Lord is kind and merciful.

Bless the LORD, O my soul;
and all my being, bless his holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits.
Lord, I lift up my hands to you in your holy place.  I praise you and I bless you and I thank you for all that you have done for me – for all the graces and blessings you have given to me!  I pray that your name will be hallowed (made holy) in my heart

He pardons all your iniquities,
he heals all your ills.
He redeems your life from destruction,
he crowns you with kindness and compassion.
Lord, thank you for your patience with me, for your forgiveness, for your merciful love. 
Remind me today of all the ways that you are kind to me, through the people you put into my life, for all the ways I encounter you in the Sacraments.

Merciful and gracious is the LORD,
slow to anger and abounding in kindness.
He will not always chide,
nor does he keep his wrath forever.
What a blessing to know, Lord, that you know me through and through and still you forgive me and care for me!

For as the heavens are high above the earth,
so surpassing is his kindness toward those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,
so far has he put our transgressions from us.
Lord, this reminds me of what one of the saints once said.  “When the Lord has forgiven our sins he casts them into the sea and then he puts up a sign that says ‘No fishing!’

Our Sisters chant the Psalms during the Liturgy of the Hours.  If you are brave enough and creative you too can sing them!  If you play guitar or piano try these chords:  D, A, G, A.   And let your voice be heard!  



No comments: