In preparation for Ash Wednesday, as I was sorting through written notes stuck into the current volume of my Liturgy of the Hours, I found these little gems that I would like to share with you. I never make note of the author, unfortunately; however I think the thoughts they contain could be helpful to you:
- Prayer exists when God, not self, is the sole point of reference.
- Prayer is not a practice but a life.
- Prayer is our opening up to God to receive from Him the wonder of a transforming love.
- If you want to find God in prayer, strive to have the heart of a poor person, of one who claims no rights for himself and marvels at the gifts he receives.
- Attach myself to the life of prayer rather than the act of prayer.
- There is no saint without a past and no sinner without a future!
- Our memory becomes healthy to the extent that we surrender our past to God and know that it is more his past than mine.