Friday, April 4, 2014

Start the Day with the Lord

If the devil can’t make you bad he’ll make you busy.  Have you ever heard that phrase?  Perhaps it is not theologically sound but I think there is a grain of truth in it.  The evil one has a lot at stake if he can tempt us to live our lives on the run.  Being busy prevents us from growing in our relationship with God! 

Our culture sets the tempo for our lives.  It takes a lot of spiritual strength and courage to slow down in order to take a look at our priorities.  What is important – what is not?  We can begin each day by asking God what does He want for my life today?   How does He want me to handle my commitments – to my job, to my family.  How does He want me to handle those things that I have to do and what are those things that I can let go?   

If you are not already making a “Morning Offering” here is one suggestion:

My God, I adore You, and I love You with all my heart. I thank you for having created me, made me a Christian, and preserved me this night. I offer You the actions of this day. Grant that all of them may be in accordance with Your holy Will and for Your greater glory. Protect me from sin and from all evil. Let Your grace be always with me and with all my dear ones. Amen.

As I was putting this note together I was reminded of a young mother who attends daily Mass.  She is very reverent and recollected.  However, when Mass is over she is out the door.  She jumps into her car, turns on the engine, flips open her cell phone and off she goes – into the day!  I think she might have her priorities straight – at least she has made a wonderful morning offering!  

No comments: