Saturday, August 4, 2007

He's ready to listen!


Frankly, I was going to take a break from blogging today. However, when I was praying this morning so many thoughts bombarded me that I just had to share them. Sometimes when we “hear” ourselves say things they come into clearer focus.

The Gospel today is the account of the death of John the Baptist who was beheaded by King Herod. (See Mt. 14:1-12). John’s disciples came to the prison and carefully took away his body and buried it. The passage concludes: “…and then they went and told Jesus.” It struck me that I have many things I want to tell Jesus. What about you?

Remarkably, today is the feast of St. John Mary Vianney, known as the Cure of Ars. In the Office of Readings today there is a catechetical instruction by the Saint in which he talks about telling things to Jesus. “Prayer is nothing else but union with God.. We had become unworthy to pray, but God in his goodness allowed us to speak with him... This union of God with a tiny creature (you and me) is a lovely thing. It is a happiness beyond understanding! Prayer never leaves us without sweetness. When we pray properly, sorrows disappear like snow before the sun.” Isnt’t that beautiful!

In his day, people came for many, many miles and stood in line for hours to confess their sins to the Lord through St. John Vianney. Unburdening our hearts to Jesus in the Sacrament of Reconciliation – that’s a wonderful way to “go and tell Jesus”!

No comments: