Sunday, March 29, 2009

Keep Him before your eyes

I was a young adult before I discovered that I was a visual learner. It helps me to see something in order to remember it. I will sometimes ask a person to spell their name so I can picture it, I can see it in my mind’s eye!

I have discovered that is why I am drawn to Christian art. If you notice I always use pictures on this blog. I love being able to “see Jesus” in the various scenes from the Gospel. Icons and other forms of Christian art help me to pray.

As we move into the final days of Lent and approach the events of the Passion and death of Christ, I want to stay focused on the Lord. Of course the most important way to do that is in adoration before the Blessed Sacrament. Also, many of the saints have encouraged us to fix our eyes on the Crucifix in order to meditate on all that Jesus has done for us. My gaze needs to be personal as I try to grasp the reality of His suffering for my sins, the reality of His great love for me!

I have a picture of the Lord on the desktop of my computer. A lot of my work is done at the computer and seeing the picture throughout the day helps me to keep my thoughts directed to the One who is the reason that I do what I do.

We live in an age when there are so many distractions it can make your head spin! Because of the busyness of our lives it is easy to lose sight of this grace-filled season. If you too are a visual learner perhaps you can find just the right picture to help you meditate and pray. As you enter Holy Week, may you too be able to “see” how much God loves you!

No comments: